Monday 15 February 2010

A Little List



So here are some things I love:-

  • Starting to learn to make my own clothes so I can attempt rather than pointlessly admire so much of the clothes I see on the Internet.
1 & 2 Modcloth - www.modcloth.com
  • Lilacs. They're blooms signify the arrival of spring to me, and everything from their colour to their smell make me smile. When I was a child we lived in a house with a big lilac tree which I could climb and I spent days up in it's branches reading, dreaming and watching the neighbourhood. My one request when we moved house? A lilac tree. Which I didn't get.


3 http://www.countryliving.com/outdoor/expert-gardening-tips-and-advice/lilac-bushes-pruning
4 berrimbillah - http://www.flickr.com/photos/8252200@N03/2914521324/
5 Peezy of Jael - http://www.flickr.com/photos/peezybeezy/3608791544/
6 Linda Groendal - http://www.samfur.us/spring_flower_art_prints/lilac_flower_rustic_art/


  • Anais Nin's journals, I'm reading vol. 5 at the moment and they are the most beautiful inspiring books. I have scraps of paper and sections of notebooks from bits which I've copied down and have drawn from. She was a glorious woman, constantly searching and honest, serene and giving. Nin writes not about the mundane goings on in her life (which I am terrible about doing in my own journal) but the intricacies of her interactions and attachments to the people in her life, the nature of her own needs and demands and the development of the new style of writing she developed.
7 bakroots - http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakroots/1479263817/
  • Libraries and book stores. They are the first things I look for when I move to new place (I sometimes think I moved here because Manchester has a wonderful, large domed library in it's city centre). I have been to New York Library, the Bodleian in Oxford and the John Rylands in Manchester before the limited access to name my favourites. Bookstores are a more dangerous love, I have so many books that are on my to-read list I could shut up shop and read for the rest of my life and still not be done. I long to go to City Lights in San Francisco and Shakespeare and Co. in Paris and my answer to what would you do if you won the lottery is to move to America, buy a car and road trip using book stores as my guide and then set up shop by a beach in the Virginia/ North Carolina area and live out my days there. Grand plans I know.
  • Lying on my bed with my legs up against the wall while listening to music
8 http://www.jackielee.freeserve.co.uk/discog5.htm
  • The Fall, directed by Tarsem. This film is visually stunning and has a wonderful way of playing with the nature of story-telling, the relationship between Lee Pace and Catina Untaru is touching and wonderful and the costumes are insane. To talk about it too much would take aways it's magic but for me it was the best film of 2008.
9 http://www.projo.com/movie_reviews//lb_thefall_07-04-08_20AMAF5_v12.1ec6be9.html
  • Blogs and bloglovin! Obviously I'm new at this but I have been reading blogs for years. I started with a list of bookmarks that I visited but the list became unmanageable and so I turned to bloglovin, which is so wonderful and easy especially since my internet usage moves around a lot more than it used to. Increasingly I have the confidence to comment too!
  • My new membership to Cinema Paradiso! Bought as a gift by my lovely brother it seems very much like lovefilm, there are loads of films on offer including loads and loads of old movies I have always wanted to see! Speeding to me at this moment though is A Haunting in Conneticut, a modern horror starring Kyle Gallner which I haven't yet seen and An American in Paris which I watch for Gene Kelly.
10 http://marianna68.wordpress.com/2009/02/15/an-american-in-paris/


5 comments:

  1. Fantastic list. I also love book stores and I'm sure if my bed were near a wall, I would rather enjoy putting my legs up against the wall while listening to music. =] Hope you had a fantastic Valentine's Day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-) I did, it's really the first time I embraced it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww those dresses are so cute and I love lilacs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this list =). I love lilacs as well - they're my favorite flower following lilies! We also used to have several small lilac trees around our property at home, and there is nothing that smells as beautiful as freshly bloomed lilacs in the spring. Great blog =).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, I only just started, thought I'd just be talking to myself!! Glad you all are here :-)
    Nicki, that sounds so lovely!

    ReplyDelete