Saturday 6 March 2010

Spotlight Saturday

As a big film/reading/all round geek I often find myself saying how great certain people are and seeing blank looks. Not that these people are obscure, often I'll find forums, tumblrs and facebook pages dedicated to their wonderful selves. Anyway, I have a great deal of enthusiasm for certain people's work and would like to use my little piece of the internet to celebrate them. So:-

Amber Tamblyn

Amber Rose Tamblyn was born May 14, 1983 in Santa Monica, California. She is the daughter of actor Russ Tamblyn, and her mother, Bonnie Tamblyn, is a singer and artist. Russ Tamblyn was a childhood love of mine, especially as Gideon in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, so when I got dragged into seeing The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by my Alexis Bledel-loving friend I made the connection to her.
She is a wonderful actress, she grew up working on the TV show General Hospital but after acting in a few movies (including the Wim Wenders segment of a short film compilation Ten Minutes Old: The Trumpet) she landed the lead role in Joan of Arcadia. The show follows Joan as she comes to term with the fact that God is taking a rather more direct interest in her life than most, and grumbles her way through it. The show is very much written by people who like science and questions, and it benefits from that, along with the genuine affectionate bonds the family group seemed to have. After JOA was cancelled and S of T P came out, Amber starred in the movie Stephanie Daley, a difficult look at a court case involving a teenage girl whose baby died immediately after birth and whether it was murder and the events running up to it. The movie is brilliant, sensitive and harrowing and wonderfully acted by Amber, Tilda Swinton and Timothy Hutton who play the pregnant criminal psychologist and her husband. After that she worked in The Grudge 2, S of the T P 2 and a number of films which I haven't had chance to see yet. Recently she has been playing Casey Shraeger on The Unusals which also starred Oscar nominated Jeremy Renner, playing a young cop out to prove herself in the bizarre dept handling the more unusual aspects of New York law enforcement.

Amber is also a writer with two books of poetry out published, a co-founder of Write Now which fundraises for quality poetry programming and supports poetry communities who also put together an annual show in LA to showcase poets living and writing in the US. I have both her books, and they are wonderful. When I was little I tried to learn all my favourite poems and passages of books to recite to myself because replaying people's beautiful words stopped me from being lonely; I grew out of it but began again when I read some of Amber's poems from Free Stallion. This Christmas I got Bang Ditto and love that just as much, her words are sharp but not vicious, angry without being vindicitve, introspective without being to self-involved and passionate while remaining involving. She talks about politcial issues she feels strongly about, about personal relationships, how she feels about herself and the world.

From the poem ROLE RESEARCH:

"1.

“Jumpers” he calls them, pushing a picture

under my dried tabloid-puke eyes.


The homicide detective at New York’s 19th precinct

sits across from me, the mascara maven.


Role research. He has no eyelids left,

just crumpled Polaroids. Murders, suicides,


robberies, kidnapping: seen one 36-year-old

Caucasian male impaled on a pole after


plummeting the length of New Jersey,

seen ’em all..."


All photos are from Amber's Facebook page
The section of Role Research is from here

5 comments:

  1. Wow I had no idea she did so much!!! She's got such a gorgeous look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's great to find new people and interesting to find out more about them. this girl is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hello! You've got such a beautiful blog over here. She's so stunning. And I also love your previous post.

    Have a fab week, you've got a new follower :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the lovely comments, glad to spread the Amber Awareness!

    You have a new follower too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always like Amber Tamblyn, however I never realized that she is a writer! I am going to have to look more into that. Thank you for sharing that info!

    ReplyDelete